Thursday 4 February 2021

Climate confusion in UK Government

Letter submitted to The Times newspaper: The headline over your environment editor’s article on the House of Commons’ Public Accounts Committee (PAC) report (Feb3) on Achieving government’s long-term environmental goals read "Defra ‘lacks clout to lead on climate’.” This was misleading. The PAC did not say what your headline writer placed in inverted commas; they have compressed an actual quote for convenience. What the PAC actually wrote was: “The Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (Defra) has the policy responsibility for the environment, but not the clout to hold other departments to account or manage trade-offs between policy areas.” (paragraph 2, page 5)(https://committees.parliament.uk/publications/4513/documents/45674/default/). Defra is not the lead government department on climate change: this is the Department for Business, Energy and industrial Strategy (BEIS), although with the recent creation of the stand-alone President of the Conference of Parties (COP26) for the UN Convention on Climate Change, in the person of former Business secretary Alok Sharma, currently embedded within the Cabinet Office, it may be argued there are three departments – each underwritten by the Treasury - now taking forward UK climate policy.

1 comment:

  1. Few Months ago, I felt so depressed, got frustrated dealing with bad credits, but reaching out to HACK VANISH via Phone: +1 (747) 293-8514 and Email: HACK VANISH (@) GMAIL. COM gave my life a new meaning, after I found him credible through positive reviews read on some credit blogs, in a twinkle of an eye, this great hacker restored my credit score from 509 to 784 across all 3 major credit bureaus, evictions and repossession cleared, my LexisNexis and Chex system fixed respectively, some days later, I received an E-mail confirming the approval of my home loan, it was quite amazing because I never thought it was possible. Today, I can confidently say 2021 was an exceptional year for my husband and I as we now own a new home and a brand-new SUV courtesy HACK VANISH, I would definitely recommend him to anyone in need of a genuine Hacker.

    ReplyDelete